Benny's World

Sunday, January 20, 2008

27 Dresses: Great Chick Flick

Yesterday, my DH had a birthday--his mid-century--and we were trying to get tickets for a 7:15p showing for Atonement, a Golden Globe award winner. However, the wait lines were too long and we knew we couldn't get in and be able to sit together. So instead, we decided we would go to a movie today while everyone was watching the AFL and NFL football championship games.

About mid-morning when we were finalizing plans, we opted to go see something with levity and go to 27 Dresses instead. The movie turned out to be a good choice for us, albeit it really was more of a chick flick. I think the female to male audience ratio was about 25 to 1 and we almost didn't get to sit together either as the movie theater was full.

Disclaimer: holiday weekend + cold weather (14 degrees) + free parking = more movie goers

The trailer is uploaded here, to give you a sense of the movie.

Link to video trailer

After seeing the movie, I would concur these were good teasers. But in case you cannot pull up wthe trailer, here is the synopsis, which I scarfed from Rottentomatoes.com:

Jane is idealistic, romantic and completely selfless – a perennial bridesmaid whose own happy ending is nowhere in sight. But when younger sister Tess captures the heart of Jane’s boss -- with whom she is secretly in love – Jane begins to reexamine her “always-a-bridesmaid….” lifestyle.

To us, the movie is a cross of several successful formula romantic comedies, among them, Four Weddings & a Funeral, Love Actually, and My Best Friend's Wedding. The latter is most recognizable. Rotten Tomatoes reviewers felt it was too predictable and full of cliches', but I disagree. While it is predictable, most romantic comedies have been for 2o years or more. Thus, I think if the characters and the setting had been in Britain, the reviews would be higher. I love British comedies, but I do think based on the audience's reactions here, the reviewers were too critical for a romantic comedy and expected more because of Edward Burns' presence in the film. (I still loved him in The Brothers McMullen and who can forget Sarah McLauchlan's ending tune, "I Will Remember You".)



Most of the audience, including my DH, laughed at most of the good lines (I cackle when something really cracks me up--and sometimes it is a very subtle line), and by far the best scene that draws the audience in simpatico takes place in a blue collar bar. The chemistry is superb between the actors, and only a few times, did the script lag and was a bit trite (a woman who tries to take care of sisters or brothers either forced or unforced), but overall, my DH and I came to care about all of the major characters.

There are plenty of ironies, but very subtle. One thinks of them later.

The credits section is the most creative I've seen in awhile, worth staying to see.

For a couple of hours of laughter, I heartily recommend this movie for matinee or DVD.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home