Benny's World

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Giving is More Fulfilling than Receiving

Some of my readers may recall that HR and I had a toy drive for the kids whose families were affected by the hurricanes in Florida. The toy drive lasted for a couple of weeks.

Cindy Kelly, my HR director and I made the decision to send the toys after hurricane season. Recently, Alexis Daniel made some calls on the library's behalf to the Salvation Army to see if they were still taking toys for children. They were no longer a distributor for toys, so from the United Way, Alexis found out a non-profit organization in Florida needed our toys. The organization is Christmas Kids and it is based in Port. St. Lucie, FL, on the east coast. It's been around since 1946. HR did all of the packing of the toys, and they are being shipped to this organization.

I was asked by the organization to talk about our toy drive on the radio station that has adopted it for their community service work. So this morning, I called about 10:15 local time, and I was patched in to the Greg and Carol Christmas Kids program on WPSL (1590 AM), which was being broadcast live from a bank. I spoke for a couple of moments about how we did this, the kinds of toys and other things being sent. They asked me to tell you "thank you" from them and the over 2000 children who will use our toys and other gifts they are receiving. They also said we were the most remote (in distance) donor of toys. They mentioned my place of employment 3 times while we were on the air and thanked us for our generosity, especially since they were hard hit by 2 hurricanes, Frances and Jeanine.

You can see their web site at http://www.wpsl.com and on the left, click Christmas Kids. Thank you's go out to my colleagues for participating in such a worthwhile endeavor; a special thank you goes to HR for doing the leg work. And the kids benefit from our donation, about 9 boxes worth!

I was told I was beaming like a woman expecting children after that vite phone call. Well, I've not given birth, but it really is more fun to give than to receive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home