Benny's World

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Inspirations

John Edwards is known for the expression, "I choose to be inspired. " Lately, I have felt inspired by his wife, Elizabeth and my colleagues, but for various reasons. Elizabeth has breast cancer, which is not uncommon. What was uncommon was that she discovered a lump two weeks before the election was to be held, and she withheld the information from her husband for a week. Part of it was that she needed to seek out a doctor to be certain, and the other was that she knew the news would hurt her husband. She was right, of course. So the day Edwards and Kerry conceded the race to their opponents, Elizabeth was rushed to Massachusetts General for more tests, which completely confirmed other opinions. But she has been so strong about the entire situation, and not afraid to discuss it with the public either.

For some time, I've also admired Elizabeth's looks and how she has turned a potential liability (her weight) into an asset, as discussed before on this blog. I've liked her hair in particular. It has made me wonder how long she's had her hairstyle and when it changed. Nonetheless, I've noticed some women in my office who have made some dramatic changes to their hairstyles as well. Both of them had long hair, one length, then over a vacation or holiday, they came back with short, but layered look haircuts. It made both of them look more professional. I decided to take the plunge yesterday: I cut my slightly past my shoulders one length hair and had it layered as well, but not as short as my colleagues or Elizabeth Edwards'. I remain without bangs, but I wear my hair parted to the side. It's now an auburn color, which gives my haircut the "oomph" it needs in terms of warmth, but all of the other ingredients give it "oomph". Both my spouse and I think my new style is much more professional looking. I awoke this morning hoping there would be no regrets, and there aren't.

Inspirations come from different places. I thank my colleagues for their bold moves, just Elizabeth was bold enough to come out about her disease. And I was able to make my move, at last being a bit more innovative on myself as I am in my worklife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home