Benny's World

Saturday, October 22, 2005

North of Boston, part 2

Recently, I had an opportunity via being on an advisory board to return to Boston. I saw some former housemates and actually stayed with one of them for a couple of nights. It was nice because even though she dwells in a different domicile, a lot of it was familiar and therefore homey to me. I liked her housemate; he seems to complement her in lifestyles. Seems to be a good fit for both.

It was good to see my McNair Trekker friends too. One of them I worked with at Baker Library. I hadn't seen him in 9 years--since I moved away. While he was having some work issues, he still looked happy, and still doing the entrepreneurial stuff on the side, such as teaching tai chi classes.

Speaking of Baker Library, one of my buddies from the Northeast who is also on this advisory board, picked me up and we went to Baker Library to see the "complete makeover." However, renovation is the right word since it means "To restore to an earlier condition, as by repairing or remodeling" or "To impart new vigor to; revive". The reading room looked like when I started working there in 1988; all of the wood had been taken out, treated, and restored. The differences were good though, in moving the microfilm on the same floor, but still in a quiet space, along with the photocopiers and restrooms. I liked the lobby areas too as the students have a place to watch what's going on "the Street" (wall street) and can choose to read your favorite financial newspaper. What I didn't like was that the trading post was stuck on the bottom floor and not being showcased.

I saw a few former colleagues there too. It was good to see them. And it indeed this visit was a like a mending wall.

But, having been away now for nearly 9 years, while I still have war stories to tell about working at Baker, I have no desire to work there again, despite the opulence of the place. My time there was well spent, but I'm glad I don't have as much to manage in terms of space and personnel. Moreover, I'm convinced my own library is innovative as resources permit, and it's nice to have a closer relationship with some of the faculty.

Oh yeah, the board meeting was productive. We stayed in Salem and it was fun to see the old houses. The town was gearing up for Halloween. It was fun to see my favorite colleagues from the top business school libraries, but also to meet a few new people too. One night I had a lobster for dinner, and ate it like a New Englander--from small parts to big. It was so sweet I didn't need the drawn butter.

The cow paths haven't gone away; they are filled with more cars than ever. That part makes me sad in a way, as the autumn leaves had not turned there yet. Global warming has impacted Boston more than my home in Illinois. I was glad to come back to see that the trees in the neighborhood were beautiful and back to less traffic and my roomy abode.

I noticed that I missed stars in the west,
Where its black body cut into the sky.
--"The Mountain", from North of Boston, Robert Frost, 1914

2 Comments:

  • Benny,
    it was nice to see something ruminative here, not that I don't enjoy the more policy-oriented stuff too. The only Baker library I know in Mass. is the Harvard Business School library. Is that the one you're refering to?

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 9:01 AM  

  • Yep--The same one. I worked there for 8 years, but now have been away for 9. Glad you like the personal posts..I don't do enough of them, but I don't write them unless I have something reflective to say. Thanks for stopping by...Benny

    By Blogger benny06, at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home