Benny's World

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Trouble is not in the Stars; it is Us

Yesterday's vote to continue the debate on the record of Judge Sam Alito failed. It was appalling to see that 19 Democrats couldn't muster the courage to vote no. Perhaps many conservatives did fax or call them to vote for cloture. Hard to say.

I wrote one of my senators, Richard Durbin this morning. Here's what I said:

Dear Senator Durbin:
I wanted to thank you for having the conviction to vote to continue the debate on the confirmation process of Judge Sam Alito. During the hearings, you brought up the most salient points about individual rights being disregarded or dissented by this nominee.

Today, it is now just procedure, and Judge Alito will be voted in. I'm appalled at 19 of your colleagues who couldn't find the courage to vote no. But at least you spoke for many of us, and you deserve the accolade.

I particularly appreciated John Kerry and even the old Lion, Teddy Kennedy, for standing up for what was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home