Benny's World

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Lively Discussions about Borklito this Weekend

From my post on OAC today. Seems fitting since it's MLK's 77th birthday:

Most of the discussions on the DU and DK are whether or not Dems should pull a fillibuster or not.

I don't believe the Dems in the Senate will. They will give the nominee Borklito an up and down vote; and it may be 59-41 (Ben Nelson is voting with the Republicans and there could be two others) for confirmation. It would be nice if Chafee, Collins, and Snowe voted their conscience, but probably will not. The money is too powerful to turn down, especially when they are up for re-election.

I'm not certain if delaying the vote until Wed will do much for the Dem party either.

I signed the JRE's petition; passed it on here, as you all know. I noticed quite a few blogs posted it as well, mainly by feminists I checked around to see what other blogs were saying about JRE and his initiatives. They were very positive.

My senators are Dems who reside in a Dem state, so I'm certain they will vote no. I wanted to state that I thought it was unfortunate that it was on Thursday before Senator Durbin finally got around to asking the questions I was more interested in hearing answers, and for some reason, Judge Borklito was too brief on his interpretations, related to the 4th amendment especially. But I was pleased with Durbin's questioning on that topic. I think the questioning brought out that Borklito will not stick out his neck for individuals because it is an area too ambigious for him. He has been a judge who sees and reads b/w and in not grey or in colors. Despite what he says, he is still will do some ruling based on his personal beliefs. Alan Dershowitz wrote an insightful piece in Forbes recently, entitled "What Kind of Justice Will Alito Be?" and commented that most SCOTUS justices bring some political views with them when they are appointed.

His best example was Bush v Gore, in which Rehnquist normally would side with Gore on the technicalities, but instead, very likely voted with his political beliefs.

What I would like to suggest to y'all is that we use this vote more of an issue for the elections this year, and that the 3 branches are not moving in the direction of the people. Bob Burnett posted at Huffington Post that believed that JRE is the best spokesperson for the party because he understands class warfare this administration and non-conservatives of the right have been incrementally eroding over the past 5 years. JRE speaks for all of us, and not for the special interests who are recking our democratic (not the party, democracy) foundations.

Lastly, I believe we need to start getting a constitutional amendment going about privacy. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what language to suggest. But it needs to happen so that the Borklitos of the world get it, and as JRE has suggested many times, the world watches us, and what we do. Otherwise, why would any small business or a person who wants to become a citizen of our country for a better life want to live here if we cannot protect their rights? Bush is a big company person, destroying the fabric of our job foundation--small business--and Borklito, as David Broder aptly put, is the company man.




Cartoon by Mike Luckovich of the Atlanta-Constitution Journal..one of my fav political cartoonists

1 Comments:

  • Benny, that was nicely put. I remember during the 70's there was some talk about a "privacy" amendment to make it a more explicit right under the constitution, but I always found the argument persuasive that if you look at the Bill of Rights, the presumption inherent in all those amendments is "privacy" in the first place.
    I think the most troubling thing about Judge Alito is that his record suggests a greater respect and trust for and in institutions than people.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home