Benny's World

Friday, December 15, 2006

Remember that Letter to Sen Obama?

That I wrote on November 11?


I finally got a response. Here's what it read:

Dear Benny:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on John Bolton's service as United States Ambassador to the United Nations.

I was disappointed that the President chose to bypass the Senate last year and install John Bolton as U.N. Ambassador through his power of "recess appointment." At a time when we are facing some of the gravest threats to our security we've ever known, the United States needs a credible, effective messenger at the United Nations who will be able to advance the security and safety of our citizens. In my view, Mr. Bolton was not that person.

I believe that in November the voters made a powerful statement that they want a change in the direction of U.S. foreign policy. And I am pleased that when it became clear during the current lame duck session that the Senate would not confirm Mr. Bolton as U.N. Ambassador, he submitted his resignation to the President.

The President has indicated that he wants to work with the Democratic majority in the Senate, and I hope he will now put forward a nominee for U.N. Ambassador who can garner a broad base of support, both in the Senate and from the nations assembled in New York. The U.S. needs a representative at the U.N. who can command the respect of the world and engage in the diplomacy necessary to build coalitions both to tackle internal challenges at the U.N. and isolate our enemies in the world.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Barack Obama
United States Senator



Jeeps, I guess he had to wait until Bolton resigned in order to form an opinion.

Tags: Barack Obama, UN Ambassadorship, Benny's World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home