Benny's World

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Eight Belles: RIP in Horse Heaven


Today I watched the KY Derby and was happy my horse won. But in the midst of looking for my copy of Dan Fogelberg's "Run of the Roses", I wasn't cognizant that Eight Belles, who came in second, suddenly collapsed as she had broken her front ankles. She had to be put down immediately. That may explain why she didn't win, but she at least finished second and did so with grace and honor.

I cannot celebrate Big Brown's win as I would imagine Larry Jones who trained this high spirited filly, is heartbroken over this tragedy.

Here's a mint julip and a dozen roses for Eight Belles.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • There was an interesting interview on NPR today about this. A trainer was saying that the horses are becoming so specialized for speed that they've become more delicate and don't live as long even when not injured.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home