Benny's World

Monday, February 16, 2009

Show Some Love for Your Pets

Today's NYT article, "Kicking the Habit for Your Pet" grabbed my attention as it had to do with smokers and their pets. I am not a smoker although when I was much younger, I did smoke. My parents smoked a lot when I was a kid. And makes me wonder if our family pets would have lived longer if my parents hadn't smoked. Look at the stats presented in the article.

Studies show that smoking poses a significant health threat to dogs, cats and birds who inhale secondhand smoke. A study at Tufts College of Veterinary Medicine found a higher rate of mouth cancer in cats who live with smokers. Cats are particularly vulnerable because carcinogenic compounds in smoke settle on their fur, which then are ingested by the cat when it grooms. A smoker’s cat is also twice as likely to develop malignant lymphoma than a cat that lives with non-smokers.

Dogs who live with smokers are more likely to develop cancers in the nose and sinuses, according to a study at Colorado State University. Long-nosed dog breeds were at highest risk. Dogs with short or medium-length noses showed higher rates of lung cancer.


To any of my friends who still smoke, if you won't quit smoking for your children's health or yourself, please consider it for the sake of your pooties and woozles. Pets ask so little of us for the enjoyment they bring to our lives.

Speaking of, I am awaiting word on Elmora's oral surgery today. She is having two teeth extracted. I'm hoping she will feel much better as I noticed her step hasn't been quite as spry in the past couple of months.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home