Benny's World

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Movies that Resonate

As I blog, my spouse is watching "The Passion" on DVD. He wanted to see it when it was first released, but he knew I would not go see it on a big screen after I had heard it was so gory. Generally I can handle graphic violence on video or tv better, if I find the movie is worth viewing.

I arrived home about an hour ago, and he was watching it. I asked why he didn't wait for me to see it. His reply, "Doesn't matter. Don't bother. It's still too gory for you." When they got the last nails into Christ on the coffin, even my DH gasped (he just said when they flipped over the cross, and the Romans had to ensure the nails would stay in by pounding their backside).

On some blogs, there has been talk about the year of "The Passion." Today's article by Frank Rich in the Arts Section of the NYT also discusses the Year of the Passion.

I don't see the movie as anti-Semitic or particularly overly Catholic either. I see it as more of culture of sacrafice in order to get to heaven and be with God. This could translate to suicide bombers, those who belong to cults (e.g. Jim Jones) or some Christians (such as fundamentalists or those who take Catholicism literally). It seems to resonate with some, while others find it offensive. DH just said (now that it's over) that it resonated with him because he thinks it probably was that awful, and that some folks are that vicious.

He's right in one sense, look at Abu Ghraib. We tortured, but most of all, humilated the prisoners there.

Another thought: if one thinks about it, "Fahrenheit 9/11" had the same effect of resonating with many and offending many equally. I've not stated my opinion on F 9/11 as I've only seen the first half of it on DVD, and I've read Moore made several changes to the DVD version (mainly to correct some errors).

In general, I stay away from strongly pro-Christian movies and muck-raking films, like "Fahrenheit 9/11" or its counter parts on the other political side. Many like them; that's fine. But if the FCC allows "The Passion" to get on national tv without fines as opposed to showing "Saving Private Ryan" or "Schlindler's List" because of the nudity, graphic violence, or language, then we may discover that the FCC is too much on the side of Christian fundamentalists, or perhaps, they may be anti-Semitic. Let's hope that if graphic violence on tv is abhorred, then the FCC (and we) should be fair to all films or documentaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home