Benny's World

Monday, February 21, 2005

Democrats Cautioned on Faith?

By Audrey Hudson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES 2/21/2005

Democrats who invoke God's name on the campaign trail will be seen as politicians pandering for votes, says failed vice presidential candidate John Edwards. The North Carolina Democrat said he wanted more opportunities to discuss his relationship with God while campaigning with presidential running mate Sen. John Kerry, Massachusetts Democrat. "It's everything to me," Mr. Edwards said of his faith and family yesterday on ABC's "This Week." Faith and values ranked as the number one reason among voters in the Nov. 2 election for voting Republican. But as the Democratic Party embarks on an new identity search, he warned that God talk is not the solution.

"I don't believe the answer for us going forward is to invoke the Lord's name 55 times in a speech. First of all, I think it looks political. It looks like you're just moving around for politics' sake. I think people want to know who you are and what you're made of," Mr. Edwards said.


You can read the rest of the article by clicking
here.

More excerpts about yesterday's interview of JRE, from Faux News, just to prove that this blog is fair and balanced, and yet other quotes are found here (LA Times via Yahoo News).

For once, the WT, a very conservative newspaper, printed excerpts of the interview on "This Week" yesterday. To JRE, I agree with you. Faith is something within, and should not be bandied about or one does appear disingenuous.

2 Comments:

  • Edwards was very good.... I only wish I had seen the entire interview.

    By Blogger ANIMAL, at 6:05 PM  

  • FC, I will visit your blog sometime too. To answer your question, unlike some on the OAC, I haven't spent as much time with him. Whenever you meet him at an event, everyone wants to talk with him--one reason why he often was late in arrivals. (smile) But I have spent a lot of time watching him on tv, reading articles, read Four Trials, and yes, when I have met him, I felt he was "the real deal" to borrow a phrase from the campaign.

    Please free to come back and post.

    Hi Animal! Thanks for posting. I put a link to the transcript of the show, but OAC and JREG have it too. ..blossoms...Benny

    By Blogger benny06, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home