Benny's World

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Overlooked Lives of Note

One of the segments of This Week I appreciate is "In Memoriam". I was surprised to see three people off the most noteable list on December 25:


Ossie Davis, who was in many movies, but I remember him from the movie, Do the Right Thing. He was one of the most active civil rights leaders in the U.S.





William Proxmire, fmr Senator, Wisconsin, who pointed out gross governmental expenditures via his own Golden Fleece Awards






John Spencer who played VP candidate Leo McGarry on West Wing





Here are three that didn't make the list all year:


Legendary labor organizer Clinton Jencks, who led mineworkers in New Mexico in a strike depicted in the classic movie Salt of the Earth.

(hattip to Marjorie Cohn, Truthout.org)



Nipsey Russell, the TV poet during the 60's and 70's..












John Vernon, who played Dean Wermer in Animal House








Speaking of lives of note, those you wouldn't see on the MSM anywhere are some of my heroes, librarians. Librarianship also happens to be my profession.


Those I remember who are of my profession, who passed away this year:




Ilene Rockman, editor of Reference Services Review, manager of the Information Competence Initiative at California State University’s Office of the Chancellor, and the winner of the ACRL Instruction Section’s (IS) Miriam Dudley Instruction Librarian Award.








Frank H. Spaulding, fmr Special Libraries Association President














I'm certain there will be more who will leave us in the next year. But still, I will think of these folks for a long time.

And there will be new folks to come along too. My niece is expecting her first in June!

1 Comments:

  • For whatever reason, my strongest memories of gameshows include Nipsey Russell as a funny black man who seemed to be able to compose silly poetry on a whim.

    It always seemed strange to me that the man only seemed to exist on game shows and an occasional talk show. I always wondered how he got there.

    The sadder thing is that the vast majority of Americans would be very hard pressed to name any labor leader except maybe Cesar Chavez.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home