Benny's World

Friday, February 03, 2006

Brokeback Mountain: 3 Stars on My Post

I saw the movie Brokeback Mountain. One blog who reviewed the movie (but recommended it) was a bit squeamish about the love scenes between the main characters. My reaction was the opposite. I was not uncomfortable at all with the intimate scenes between the men. Contrary to that, I was uncomfortable with the intimate scenes between the men and their women, knowing they were just lustful in their minds, but thinking they were trying to do what was right (by society).

I cannot say that I was moved at the very end as I had anticipated, meaning I brought plenty of tissues and didn't need them. If anything, I saw hope in Ennis' daughter. The photography is breath taking, and the music soundtrack is worth buying.

Overall, I found the movie a bit too subtle though, compared to Making Love or especially the very moving performance by Vanessa Redgrave in the trilogy, If these Walls Could Talk.

My real question is this: couldn't someone have written a song (folklike) called "Brokeback Mountain"? The title begs for a great song to accompany the movie. If one can do it for Cold Mountain, someone could have done it for this film. I can hear it in my head. But if no one would, there are chickenhawks in Hollywood/Nashville/etc.

I'd like to see Crash and Good Night, and Good Luck before deciding which of those along with Munich is a better movie. I saw Capote and liked the acting (especially Philip Seymour Hoffman), but to me, it was a remake of In Cold Blood. Wanted to see something beyond that story, but guess there wasn't enough material about Capote after the novel was published.

Still, I recommend Brokeback Mountain and give the Academy one thumb up for recognizing its universal themes.

4 Comments:

  • Wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered the movie Making Love. Kate Jackson, Harry Hamelin, so so psychological stuff about absent fathers...I did think the Vanessa Redgrave segment of These Walls Could Talk was done really well.
    I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain yet, but remember Ang Lee's Wedding Banquet as one of the better movies in which homosexuality was a major theme.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 11:02 PM  

  • Is it possible that more Americans who are movie visitors are uncomfortable with men lovers over women lovers? I am guessing they are.

    I really liked Making Love. To me, it was pretty realistic.

    By Blogger benny06, at 8:13 AM  

  • I agree, male homosexualy is a bigger taboo than female. I certainly watched Making Love and remember it, so that puts it ahead of the majority of movies I've seen.

    iirc, the movie pretty much did in Kate Jackson's movie career which I thought wasn't very fair.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 10:10 AM  

  • I agree about Kate Jackson in the movie, and she was really good in it.

    By Blogger benny06, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home