Benny's World

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Converge South Conference & Elizabeth Edwards



Sue's Place reminds me and others that Converge South is more than just blogging. Here's her message:


Just in case you missed it, ConvergeSouth is not a blogging conference. Last year’s focus was on blogging and the organizing team knew that blogging was on its way out as a huge national topic. Those who knew how to blog, well, knew how to blog. And those who didn’t, probably would never be bloggers. But if they wanted to be, there was LOTS of info for them to learn from.
People wanted to do more than blog. Much more.

The planning naesance for this year hinged on two things:

We could afford (raise money for) a one-day conference. In addition, NC A&T had yet to name their Chair for the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, so it was unfair to ask A&T to put together a Friday Journalism conference. We decided that one day would be a great regional conference and let us focus on a great shorter conference with plans for next year.

We don’t have lots of time, we organizers. We love planning for ConvergeSouth but we have jobs and families and lives. We didn’t want to be married to the conference.

We’ve already had inquiries from potential Discussion Leaders for next year and some of them are famous. Ed and I have had a couple of cups of coffee while discussing that if one volunteer famous person is left, then we would try to schedule an “equal” volunteer famous person from the right and we’re already making inquiries because a full year is not too early to start.


Now I happen to know that some of you NC bloggers have been visiting BW in the past day or so after Cone me gave a shout-out on Friday, and I hope you aren't disappointed. I am just a blogger. I try to post all kinds of news about John Edwards and his activities since his vision appeals to me for a number of reasons (check my 06/27/2006 post). Anyway, I hope NC bloggers or even those who don't have blogs but want to learn from some folks who have been at social networking for a long time, please consider signing up for Converge South. The bonus: meeting Elizabeth Edwards (scroll down on the link to find EAE) who really gets it about web communities and what they mean to bloggers--and to her.

http://convergesouth.com/

Just now noticed...

Elizabeth responded a little earlier than I did on Ed Cone's thread. How awesome. I'm copying it here.

From Ed Cone's Word-Up:

I certainly would be disappointed if my presence at ConvergeSouth discouraged people from attending.

Yes, I am a Democrat, but I am not a Democrat when I go to PTA meetings or when I shop for groceries . . . or when I am in a conversation about the incredible community-building opportunities on the internet.

And no, I am not a blogger. If I could live five lives at one time, I probably would be; I admire greatly those who keep their blogs alive daily and, even better, more often than daily. You have incredible stamina and obviously active minds. On the other hand, although I have posted but four blog entries (and numerous responses) on the new OAC website and have been on online conversations using the chat feature at the site, I have posted replies on OAC and numerous other blogs. I may not have time to populate my own blog, but I do have enough time, periodically, to respond to others. And I am surprised that there is such disdain for those who don't personally blog "enough" for you. Some of us, you should be very glad to hear, are busy reading yours.

I don't expect to be political or personal. I hope to be candid (and civil) and to provoke you to be the same.

And that is Elizabeth. Word Up Readers, I can guarantee that was her voice.

Tags: John Edwards, Elizabeth Edwards, Sue's Place, Ed Cone, Converge South, blogging, podcasts, Converge South 2006, One America Committee, Personal Democracy Forum, Benny's World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home