Benny's World

Monday, October 02, 2006

JRE Buzz (31): Out of Africa Edition

Welcome BW readers, where JRE Buzz catches up with the nimble John Edwards, who is currently in Uganda.

According to JRE's post read on his blog (or a piece of it):

Little background - we had a tough time getting here. We started in NY thinking we were going from NY to Brussels, to Entebbe, Uganda, but because of flight problems, we ended up changing planes in NY, flying to Brussels, then on to London, then on to Nairobi, then finally Entebbe. For two nights the only sleep we got was on airplanes. As soon as we arrived in Entebbe we went to a hotel, took a shower, and then flew to northern Uganda - Kitgum.

We flew on small, prop planes and landed on a dirt runway in Kitgum. Not only was the runway dirt, but the roads were dirt too, and very rough. We went to an Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) campaign outside Kitgum - IDP's are the same as refugees, but they have not crossed a country border. Many of the people in this camp have been stuck there for several years, some for twenty years. When we got to the camp we were greeted by a crowd of people singing, banging drums, and welcoming us. We had performances by a women's group and a children's group, then we proceeded to my favorite part, speeches.

Most of the village had gathered in a tree covered area where we met. I spoke for a few minutes and a translator told the crowd what I was saying. I then sat under a tree with three adult IDPs and lots of children. They told me the stories of what they've been through and what there hopes were. I met a little girl, about a year old, whose mother said she had never smiled - her father was killed by the LRA. I touched her cheeks, tried to get her to smile, and it ALMOST worked. I toured the camp, and the living conditions were awful - open sewage, little water, malnourished children.
(photo credit: Vanessa Vick)

There were also kids there that had been abducted by the LRA, forced to commit atrocities against others, including their own family, but had escaped and come back - the entire place made a huge impression on me. I will never forget it.

The next day we flew on a slightly larger prop plane to a shorter, dirt runway in Lira - another region of northern Uganda. We went to many places, including another IDP camp where we spoke in a crowded building with children peering into the windows from the outside. We visited the home of a family who had recently returned from the camp - there I saw a young girl who was an orphan that had been taken in by the family - her name was Lilly, and her parents had been killed by the LRA. She was about eight or nine years old, carried a baby in her arms, and one on her back. She's about the same age as my daughter Emma, and the look in her eyes was as different as night and day from Emma's - it was heartbreaking. She was providing childcare for these babies instead of going to school.


Yeah, imagine a child carrying on the burden the age of Emma Claire. I had to grow up fast, but not like that.

Here are 2 more stories...here and here.

Elizabeth Buzz

Want to see Elizabeth interviewed on Charlie Rose's show? Go here this evening for free, then you can pay $1 for a showing. Not too bad.

She was on Diane Rehm's show yesterday. Note: the link is to an audio file on Real Player. Elizabeth is unfailingly honest and empathic with callers. I learned there that JRE is going to China late this month.

She was also interviewed by Will Fima of MSNBC, in which she answers questions of those who e-mailed MSNBC. She talks about how writing helped her, especially amongst Internet support groups when Wade died. Oh, wow, she talks about Ann Coulter and how polarizing Coulter is by calling people names instead of stating that we disagree and why we do.

and one more, an interview on a radio show in NYC earlier today.

This Just In...update...EAE Buzz

A OAC blogger reports in the chat room that JRE showed up to Elizabeth's reading and book signing in NYC tonight...more l8tr...

IloJE: Sorry, Benny and America in 08, but my PC froze up
IloJE:I wanted to tell you that John Edwards showed up
benny has joined the conversation.
benny: What, JRE was there?
benny:with EAE?
benny:Tell me more!
benny:pls
IloJE:for support and yes there was a full house of all chairs and some people standing. He said something to Elizabeth as she was answering a persons question, sorry I can't remember what he said, but she said, "now, do I interupt you when are making a speech. People laughed and of he did. He sat in the up front, he stayed for the whole Q&A and then posed for a photo for some photographers, most looked professional and then he left. I guess he didn't want to overshadow her so he was rather quite. First time I have seen either one of them. I don't know about a diary, because I never remember much, I was so impressed I think I am still in a fog. So if I can think of more I will write at least some comments. There should be lots of photographs from this event by professionals.

IloJE: I think someone is going to put Elizabeth on the U-tube??. There was a photographer who looked like Annie Leibowitz, but I couldn't see her name
benny: Really?
IloJE: tag. She's the women that takes a lot celebrity photos. I am looking for my last copy of Vanity
benny: Did you get to say anything to Elizabeth? Get a book signed? Say anything to JRE?

IloJRE: Fair, with Tom and Kathy Cruise, I think there's a picture of Annie in there. Will confirm tommorrow. I got my book signed and told her she looked great, looks like lost some weight and she said she's trying. Good for her. If I think of anything else will write about it tomorrow. Have a good night.


More buzz l8tr...

Tags: John Edwards, Uganda, Elizabeth Edwards, One America Committee, Saving Graces, Benny's World

2 Comments:

  • I think the thing that consistently impresses me about both the Edwards's is thast they seem genuinely capable of empathy. The contrast with the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania is very striking.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 9:03 AM  

  • The Diane Rehm show also has a podcast available for download on iTunes, for those who'd like an mp3 version. ;-)

    By Blogger machka, at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home