Benny's World

Saturday, March 31, 2007

JRE Buzz: Waters of March

This week has been phenomenal. I've seen more diaries about the Edwards campaign around the blogosphere, most of them about endorsements, house parties, polls, or Elizabeth Edwards' health.

This week, Edwards picked up some key endorsements in WI, MN, and KY. Most of them are influential legislators who can help with the organization of the campaign, which means ground boots support. Two of the folks are current members of the House and chair key committees: Rep Obey of WI is chairs Appropriations, and Rep Oberstar of MN chairs the Transportation and Infrastructure. The two gentlemen are standing behind JRE in the picture that was taken last September.

Wednesday was the National House Parties day for the campaign. I did not host nor attend one as the closest one was near Chicago. I didn't host because right now my spouse is busy with work-related stuff and we just didn't have the time or energy to get one together. But I did get to see the DVD that was mailed to anyone who was going to host such an event. It is about 12 minutes long.



Rather than rewriting what I thought about it, Citizen 53 did a nice diary on the Daily Kos that said what I thought too.

To see more about the houseparties, George Stern at JEFP has compiled pictures and comments. Apparently, one of the bonuses of hosting was that JRE gave a conference call to all parties. How cool is that!

Polls are a funny thing. I've seen comments that Vilsack's exit out of the race helped Madame Clinton, whereas others think it helped Edwards in Iowa. In either case, Obama got no bump out of it. Chuckles1 wrote a clever diary this topic yesterday on the Daily Kos. Bottom line: Edwards is not "a" front runner; he is THE front runner in the Hawkeye State. John and Elizabeth will be back in Iowa (and NH) next week to talk more about health care, global warming, and other issues of interest to voters and caucus goers.

Yesterday was quite a day. Be Inspired over at the Daily Kos penned a diary about seeing JRE and Elizabeth upclose last week when they announced that the cancer had returned, but they would continue on the campaign. It was a moving personal story in and of itself, but then the responses were so poignant. These are the ones that brought some emotion for me:

My husband's last unemployment check was just cashed Monday. I don't know how or where it'll come from but I think I have a couple of bucks I can spare. If it means the difference between Edwards being president or another four years of the same s**t, different face, I have to try and help.

It's funny though... as I was watching the press conference unfold, I immediately wanted to send them a whole bunch of money.

Hillary is detached and slippery.

Obama talks pretty but that's all he does.

Edwards needs to be our next president to fix this country and make it America again.

Thanks for a wonderful diary from the inside. It means a lot.


And this one:

I just donated a little..

I plan to do much more in a few months, but am on disability now, so funds are low...but with surgery scheduled next week and a six week recuperation time frame I should be back to work in a couple of months and then I plan to donate monthly.

I appreciate the diary and look for any Edwards news here daily. Howard Dean pulled me into politics for the first time in 20 years (although I always voted) and I am supporting Edwards this time because he has been walking the walk these past four years. I will support the candidate who wins the primary, but it will be soooo much easier to talk to friends and neighbors about Edwards in 2008...you know when the other 95% of the voters start paying attention. :)

For anyone in KY - take a look at Miller/Maze for our Gov. race!!! THEY ROCK!

-Michelle


So amazing, people who hardly can afford much of anything, and they want to see positive change for this country.

If that weren't enough for one day, during my lunch hour I saw this post over at JRE's blog:

You all have hugged me, and I thank each one of you. From the posts on the blog here (and nearly everywhere, it seems), to the emails offering support and prayers and remedies and affection, to the cards and letters I cherish, to the flowers and teddy bears, the elixirs and photographs -- including the astounding twelve dozen -- yes, you read that right -- twelve dozen beautiful pink roses from Democratic Underground -- you have hugged me, you have made a difficult time easier, and you have hardened my resolve (okay, maybe my resolve was pretty hard already) to fight this.


Yes, this is Elizabeth Edwards, thanking the bloggers, especially those at the DU, for the 144 pink roses she received this week.

I noticed last week that the DU was going to do this. Onebluenation got it rolling, and by Monday, over $500 had been raised. So, I decided to post Elizabeth's note at the DU (since I am a member).

Wow, it made the front page in 3 hours. Amazing. It's still there, 165 recommends later.

So this week, in which today is the end of the first quarter, has been like the song, the Waters of March, which I'm very fond of. It's a Brazilian tune by Jobim.

Here are the lyrics:

A stick, a stone,
It's the end of the road,
It's the rest of a stump,
It's a little alone

It's a sliver of glass,
It is life, it's the sun,
It is night, it is death,
It's a trap, it's a gun

The oak when it blooms,
A fox in the brush,
A knot in the wood,
The song of a thrush

The wood of the wind,
A cliff, a fall,
A scratch, a lump,
It is nothing at all

It's the wind blowing free,
It's the end of the slope,
It's a beam, it's a void,
It's a hunch, it's a hope

And the river bank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the end of the strain,
The joy in your heart

The foot, the ground,
The flesh and the bone,
The beat of the road,
A slingshot's stone

A fish, a flash,
A silvery glow,
A fight, a bet,
The range of a bow

The bed of the well,
The end of the line,
The dismay in the face,
It's a loss, it's a find

A spear, a spike,
A point, a nail,
A drip, a drop,
The end of the tale

A truckload of bricks
in the soft morning light,
The shot of a gun
in the dead of the night

A mile, a must,
A thrust, a bump,
It's a girl, it's a rhyme,
It's a cold, it's the mumps

The plan of the house,
The body in bed,
And the car that got stuck,
It's the mud, it's the mud

Afloat, adrift,
A flight, a wing,
A hawk, a quail,
The promise of spring

And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the promise of life
It's the joy in your heart

A stick, a stone,
It's the end of the road
It's the rest of a stump,
It's a little alone

A snake, a stick,
It is John, it is Joe,
It's a thorn in your hand
and a cut in your toe

A point, a grain,
A bee, a bite,
A blink, a buzzard,
A sudden stroke of night

A pin, a needle,
A sting, a pain,
A snail, a riddle,
A wasp, a stain

A pass in the mountains,
A horse and a mule,
In the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue

And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the promise of life
in your heart, in your heart

A stick, a stone,
The end of the road,
The rest of a stump,
A lonesome road

A sliver of glass,
A life, the sun,
A knife, a death,
The end of the run

And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the end of all strain,
It's the joy in your heart.

Watch Jane Monheit sing it.



Note: Waters of March is not only dedicated to the Edwards campaign, but also to my spouse, JRZ. Today's our wedding anniversary--number 6.

More buzz l8tr..

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for stopping by.

    JRE is our best chance to take back our country and set the bough in the right direction.

    By Blogger benny06, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home