Benny's World

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lady Bird Johnson: the Wildflower First Lady


Claudia "Lady Bird" Johnson passed away yesterday. She was 94.

As a native Texan, I was impressed by her strength and grace during some tough times, but I loved her old man for the civil rights legislation and pushing a Great Society agenda.

As for Lady Bird, she was the first environmentalist First Lady in my lifetime by focusing on planting wildflowers near roads, both major and minor. The Bluebonnet and Indian Paint trails near College Station and Austin are testimonials to her.

Hope she is enjoying an iced-tea with Molly and Ann.

I'll be putting up a Texas flag at my house later.

Peace to LBJ's family as they grieve their loss.

Update: I just read the LBJ Ranch has been turned over to the public. What a nice gift!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Read something recently that Lady Bird played a significant role privately in pushing LBJ to get the Civil Rights bill passed.
    I'm still amazed that she outlived her husband by 33 years. That's a very long time to be a widow.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 9:20 PM  

  • The former President died within 5 years I believe after he stepped down. The war took a big toll on him. I still believe he was misled on the conflict and that is why it was handled so badly. Sometimes I wonder if that was the case of Bush 43 (in being misled), but I don't think so. I think Bush just wanted to outdo his old man. He's too stubborn to admit his mistakes.

    Lady Bird was a tough woman, just like Molly and Ann.

    By Blogger benny06, at 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home