Benny's World

Thursday, October 23, 2008

One America, Reprised

This morning I was part of a team who helped set up for a staff appreciation day. Over 160 people attended the event and about 23 staff were honored for milestones at my institution.

I had attended one of these events a couple of years ago and thought it was nice. But today, the event was more special. Maybe it was because I put some sweat equity into it and thus, it was more meaningful. Perhaps it was because our newest staff member was being honored for her 5 year milestone. And it was sweet to see her so relaxed and happy.

But I'm pretty certain there was another reason.

One person was being honored in working for my institution for twenty years. She appears to be one of those quiet folks who does a good job, then goes home to tend to her two daughters. She's gotten a few raises, but I wasn't aware she had struggled for years to get her family its own home. Turns out 3 years ago, Habitat for Humanity gave her family that chance.

I was moved when I heard about it today. And in a colleague's ear, I whispered, "she's why my vote was so important. Everyone deserves a chance to get ahead."

This person still volunteers for Habitat for Humanity when she can in their store to help raise money.

John Edwards was so right. So is Barack Obama. An opportunity to have a good place to live, have a good job, raise your family, and retire in dignity. Honoring work over wealth. That's what most of us want. And that's what my institution was doing today: honoring some folks and their work.

This is the One America I will continue to fight for and blog about.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • As John McCain says that darn Obama will say whatever it takes to get elected. Just imagine prioritizing regular peoples' lives! What a liberal and un-American notion.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 4:28 PM  

  • Yeah, McCain said that every American wants to be wealthy and should be. I agree that many Americans would like to be rich in theory, but in reality, they want to give a better life to their children and grandchildren. Trite, but it's true. Government preventing these opportunities and only giving more to the wealthy supports the yacht industry, but not the bicycle shop down the street.

    By Blogger benny06, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home