Benny's World

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Pete Seeger Turns 90 Years Younger

Note: This diary is dedicated to one of my fav Kossacks, OPOL

Today, one of America's Folk Music GRan-Uncles (along with Woody Guthrie) turned 90 years young today.

That man is Pete Seeger, someone who has had his back against the wall during the McCarthy Era for defending his right of the First Amendment: Free Speech.

In the spirit of celebrating someone who has been created progressive themes via his music (and others) time and time again, and who could care less about recent or past fornication amongst politicians...he is a true American Patriot and a grandfather steward of the earth. I wish Al Gore were with Pete Seeger today.

I heard Pete Seeger's music a lot as a child, somewhat from music classes in elementary school, some on the radio, and perhaps I may have watched him perform on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour too.

He sung a tune that became a cover for other artists that I remember, Guantanamera:



And this is a guy who like Bill Gates (in a different sense) who was at Harvard, but his vision for America via music couldn't wait. He dropped out and went out on the road. After meeting folk musician Woody Guthrie in 1940, they formed the Almanac Singers, who became known for their pro-union protest songs.

Around 1948, Seeger formed his own group, the Weavers, which had several hits. More information from the Net:

During the 1950s, Seeger was blacklisted for his former membership with the Communist Party. In 1955, he fought with the House Un-American Activities Committee, which had been on a witch-hunt for Communists.

Seeger was indicted for contempt of Congress two years after appearing before the committee.

After some legal wrangling, he was convicted in 1961 and sentenced to a year in prison.

His lawyer managed to get him off the charge on appeal that year. But Seeger's blacklisting already had a desired result — he wasn't shown on television between 1950 and 1967.


His work with the civil rights movement bears great mention:

A particular hero to the civil rights movement on whose behalf he's worked so tirelessly, Seeger made his first trip south at the invitation of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 1956, and returned in '65, again at King's personal invitation, to join the march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. Amid the tension and heat, Seeger went from campfire to campfire when the marchers stopped for the night, raising morale with rollicking sing-alongs of new freedom songs.

Seeger also vigorously joined protests against the Vietnam war, playing countless benefits and protests and recording "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy," the lyrics of which have renewed relevance today: "But every time I read the papers/That old feeling comes on/We're waist deep in the Big Muddy/And the big fool says push on."

Here's the tune:





And of course, he railed against the needless involvement in the Vietnam War, with "Where Have All of the Flowers Gone?"

Lyrics:

Long time passing
Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the flowers gone?
Girls have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the young girls gone?
Taken husbands every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young men gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone?
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the soldiers gone?
Gone to graveyards every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the graveyards gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the graveyards gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the graveyards gone?
Covered with flowers every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?





Seeger began to focus his energies locally on the notoriously polluted Hudson River. (I know this from watching a PBS special last year, but borrowing liberally here from the Net).

Gathering together friends and colleagues, he picked up a literal hammer, this time to build the sort of sailing ship that hadn't been seen on the river in decades to raise consciousness of environmental issues. They named it the Clearwater. Seeger also established Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, a group which sponsors annual eco-festivals and acts as a bulwark against polluters in the area. And here's Pete (with friends) from last year's fest, singing "Of Time and Rivers Flowing"...inviting the usual "let's sing together", so familiar with his view of sharing beauty and goodness amongst the masses:



Well, I must say I was so impressed that Bruce Springsteen got Pete back on the stage in January to give tribute to our incoming POTUS by appropriately performing ALL of the verses to one of the most patriotic songs I learned as a child, Woodie Guthrie's " This Land is Your Land". A beautiful tribute to Obama, his family, but mainly for all of us who live here:



And here are the words Pete helped us sing, with joyful tears and pride again for our country:

Chorus--
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me

Chorus
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

The sun comes shining as I was strolling
The wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling
The fog was lifting a voice come chanting
This land was made for you and me

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.



This man is being honored with a concert tonight in NYC by Bruce, Arlo, etc. Let's sing with them and give deserved accolades for a great progressive.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home