Benny's World

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If I had a Bell, I'd be Ringing it for Mary Travers

Mary Travers, a beloved member of the trio Peter, Paul, and Mary, passed on this afternoon. She was 72.

I know many of her generation, and those who inspired her, such as Pete Seeger, will miss her. I will miss her as a true "child" of the Sixties, hearing PPM peform great songs, including "Blowing in the Wind", "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Puff the Magic Dragon."

Along with Burl Ives, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Pete Seeger, PPM's folk music became part of my fort, my interest in justice, and great harmonies of music.

The song I still remember the most, and perhaps it is because I saw them on teevee do this song, is "If I Had a Hammer." Here's the clip in honor of Mary Travers.




Mary, I hope you are in peace. May your family be well in amidst the sadness. My momma, who passed earlier this year, would be sad too if she were still alive, but she's not. She's been expecting Mary for a few weeks, if indeed there is such a "meeting" place.

Peace.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home