Benny's World

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rainbow Bridge for Sydney


I awoke to cool temps in the house and no lights. I went throughout the house and lit candles everywhere. Our power went out for a couple of hours. Our pooties were loose in the house, which means Mr. Benny was so tired and didn't notice them.

I decided to come in and turn on the lights when the power came back on. I listened to "Let it Be." How did I know what would portend?

Not long after the song, I went out to see Syd in our garage. She was on her way of expiring after the power came back on. She was there, but barely breathing. Then I knew the moment of death was coming. In fact, I think I witnessed her last moments.

I woke Mr. Benny, and when he took a stethoscope to Syd, she was gone.

I am glad I saw Syd move into peace. It was quick, but I'm fortunate I was there for her at the last minute of her journey.



How I know these things, I don't know. But we have to let it be. I'm in tears, but I knew somehow.

RIP, Syd. We loved you. Here's something Walter Cronkite had played at his funeral, same age as you: When the Saints Go Marchin' In.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJbpM0RcqY

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • I hope you find some comfort in knowing that Sydney slipped away gently in her sleep. I am so glad you were there, so at least you will know that her end was easy for her.

    It is hard to lose a much loved family pet. It takes time to grieve, just like it does when we lose a person. I know the Rainbow Bridge is only a poem, but I believe we really will be with our pets again one day.

    Dogs don't have many years on the earth. The luckiest ones have the love of a family, and live on forever in the memories of that family. Sydney was loved, and she will always, always, be your good girl.

    By Blogger bettync, at 6:12 AM  

  • Keeping you and Sydney in my prayers.

    By Blogger aaaack, at 7:52 AM  

  • Thankful that Sydney's passing was peaceful, and my thought and prayers to you and Mr. Benny. May he find comfort on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home