Benny's World

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

One Love, One World

Dear Readers,
I have been dilatory in posting. I think after Keith Olbermann left MSNBC and especially Elizabeth Edwards' passing, I had a lack of things to write as both of them sustained me in my thoughts.

I was on a cruise with Mr. Benny last week for our 10th marriage anniversary. Everyone notices my tan, but many do not know that in spite of the lack of TV and internet, I still thought about One America. But my scope broadened with One World, which is something EE (via JRE sorta embraced) was looking at during the campaign in 2008.

A week ago, I was sitting in one of the cafes on the ship (Allure of the Seas) and it occurred to me that I was part of a big planet of folks. There were 6200 customers from 55 countries. There were 2200 personnel from 77 countries, and they truly wanted to be a part of our lives for that week and many more weeks, depending on when one could cruise again. Most from Royal Caribbean work 7 months, then have 2 months off, then get on again. They work 10-16 hours a day, 7 days a week. I admire that tenacity for service to be part of Royal Caribbean.

Last week, our tour went to Haiti, Jamaica, and Mexico. I have to say that Royal Caribbean bought properties in most of those places and I didn't get a real feel for any of them. Mr. Benny and I chose not to get off the boat in Jamaica since we had visited the place twice and we wanted to have options within the ship to participate.

But it was a golden night when the Allures of the Seas band played Bob Marley tunes after being in Jamaica. I danced with many women and a few men that night in Deck 5. In particular, I enjoyed dancing to "One Love". That's when I realized I was part of one world too.

The next day, I thought of Elizabeth Edwards, and her vision to persuade us to come together as one world. We had so much diversity in terms of wealth and those of us who had to scrape our monies together (Mr Benny and I had to come to a conclusion that we faced before: we will splurge at times, but we will get the $$ back and save in between). Many on the cruise were retired and had cruised many times. Must be nice.

Those who follow me on FB will see the pics from the cruise. Mr. Benny and I did some "wild" activities--snorkeling twice, the zip line, and the FlowRider, which was a big challenge, but we had such great fun in tackling those challenges.

To dance with me, here's a clip of Bob Marley's "One Love" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdB-8eLEW8g

Benny

1 Comments:

  • I do like Bob Marley! Thanks for the link to his song.

    The cruise sounds like a wonderful getaway for you and Mr. Benny, with a lot of special memories. I am glad you tried different things and made the most of your time at sea.

    I'm glad you are writing your blog posts again. I will watch for your new stories.

    By Blogger bettync, at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home