Benny's World

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Russ Feingold: A Fine Patriot

Last night, as many others did, I received an e-mail from Senator Feingold to tell us that he has decided not to pursue a run for the Democratic Party's nomination for President in 2008. Feingold must have been torn about his decision, but he seemed firm when he wrote:
I'm sure a campaign for President would have been a great adventure and helpful in advancing a progressive agenda. At this time, however, I believe I can best advance that progressive agenda as a Senator with significant seniority in the new Senate serving on the Foreign Relations, Intelligence, Judiciary and Budget Committees. Although I have given it a lot of thought, I cannot muster the same enthusiasm for a race for President while I am trying simultaneously to advance our agenda in the Senate. In other words, if I really wanted to run for President, regardless of the odds or other possible candidates, I would do so. However, to put my family and all of my friends and supporters through such a process without having a very strong desire to run, seems inappropriate to me. And, yes, while I would strongly prefer that our nominee in 2008 be someone who had the judgment to oppose the Iraq war from the beginning, I am prepared to work as hard as I can through the Progressive Patriots Fund, and consistent with my duties in the Senate, to maintain or increase our gains from November 7 in the Congress and, of course, to elect a Democrat as President in 2008.


Senator Feingold's PAC was the only one who gave my candidate, David Gill, any sails for his campaign in IL-15. While Dr. Gill didn't win, he represented hope to many of us. Feingold helped many others too.

I thank Senator Feingold for his PAC and his continued patriotism in the Senate. He is right in that he is needed there for oversight, especially now that he is part of the majority, a majority albeit who will have to help fix the gosh awful mess the previous 2 Congresses and the current Administration have created.

Tags: Russ Feingold, Presidential Race 2008, Progressive Patriots Fund, benny's world

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home