Benny's World

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday: I Voted for John Edwards (updated)

(graphic by Redjet)

This morning I woke up about 5:30 and read the paper. I discovered the precinct polls would be open at 6:00. Wearing a turtle neck, a pair of navy blue paints, and my poverty band that is identical to the one I gave JRE in June 2006 (and he wore for weeks), I cast my ballot at approximately 6:10. I voted for John Edwards and all of his delegates.

As the man handed me a "I voted" sticker, I took the time to write on it, "for JRE".

There were mainly Repugs who voted in my precinct. With the weather being mild, I think there will be a good turnout.

I went home, retrieved my yard sign, and took it back to the polling place and stuck it prominently where everyone could see it. I figured, what the hell, it would be better served there. The polling place is on one of the major thoroughfares in town, so everyone can see it.

I was surprised there were no Obama or Hillary signs. The other sign was for Ron Paul.

Despite many on the Daily Kos and actually one person on Taylor Marsh's site who tried to persuade me that my vote would be wasted and to vote for either Hillary or Obama, I do not believe it was. I voted for the voiceless. I voted a person who cared the most about the 46 million who do not have health care. I voted for the person who wanted to end poverty for the 37 million who may have gone to bed hungry along with their children, or the 200,00 veterans who were homeless.

I voted for a man who stood for principles. I voted for a man who had the decency to suspend his campaign and let all of us make our own decisions. And I voted for the most progressive ideas.

I voted proudly --albeit bittersweet--for John Edwards.

Update: links about similar thoughts by JRE supporters who are voting for him today or in upcoming primaries:

Impractical Proposals

Acebass at the Daily Kos

BruceMcF's Midnight Oil at the Daily Kos

Montana Maven

NcDem Amy at JRE's blog

Ted Daley at Alternet

Sarah Lane at Lefty Lane

Surburan Guerilla

Vyan at the DU

Ellinorianne at the Daily Kos

More l8tr...

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Good for you! And thank you, I think your vote is actually more valuable than mine in an early state.

    By Blogger smucci, at 5:46 AM  

  • Good for you for voting for the best candidate. I am doing the same thing. The media is NOT going to determine my choices.

    By Blogger ReneA, at 5:55 AM  

  • I bet that felt good! Nevertheless, don't you hate being right sometimes? (When so many other people are wrong?)

    By Blogger Laura Serena, at 7:51 AM  

  • Planting the sign was great. We need more revolution, less hootenanny.
    I also have a essay on why I am voting for Edwards in fricking June.

    By Blogger montana maven, at 8:59 AM  

  • Thanks to all who dropped by. I added some links to other bloggers who feel the same way we do, including a link to Montana Maven's site.

    We are the voices of reason today, but we also vote our hearts.

    By Blogger benny06, at 9:45 AM  

  • Mr. RedJet and I (RedJet) voted for Edwards today!

    OMG that felt so good!

    I almost did a little happy feet jig right there at the booth – in front of God and everybody.

    Eddie was still deciding this morning what to do. He wanted to vote for Edwards but he was thinking strongly of voting for Hillary as an Obama protest vote. He hasn't been very happy with Obama. But in the end he decided he'd rather vote for someone than vote against another.

    We both feel we voted our best interest (and the country's!)and our hearts and it is so good to walk away from the booth with a big smile and a skip in our step.

    By Blogger RedJet, at 10:08 AM  

  • good idea with the sign, benny! and congrats on the "early" vote for Edwards!

    By Blogger ScubaVal, at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home