Benny's World

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Another Anniversary with Elmo

As you can see, Elmo is one of my cats. My first spouse and I were adopted by this skiddish, but beautiful tuxedo cat. We didn't know he was a she, but it was worth taking this kitty from the wild side as she was a stray. Very hungry, shy, but she brought imagination into the house and our lives. She used to stay up late with my spouse when times were tough for him in being unemployed. They ended reading lots and one of the tomes was Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

On Sunday mornings, the tv was on with the talking head shows, and for some reason she always paid attention to Bob Dole. I always thought I should have put her on Letterman's Stupid Pet Tricks. Elmo was mistaken for the First Cat, Socks. It used to put her off because she thought she should have been First Cat and would never have been regulated to the basement of the White House by a dog.

In the 12 years Elmo and I have been together, I have had a divorce, moved 6 times, and I remarried. She actually travels well. Elmo has adapted in all of her situations, despite having to live with 2 dogs (who are good to their owners but have tried to kill her) and to adjust to her step brother Benny. Benny keeps Elmo in shape as he chases her around the house. She weighs only 9 lbs, a good weight for a cat approaching the age of 14. Elmo is very intelligent, but at times she feels she is a panther stuck in a domesticated cat's body.

Tonight, we celebrate Elmo's anniversary with playing her favorite songs:

"Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats
"Memory" sung by Barbra Steisand
"Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Neugent
and her favorite, "Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart

She thinks every year is "year of the cat".

She also gets a little Fancy Feast.

Happy Anniversary, Elmora Edwina Conrad! But just so you know, I still call it her birthday.

2 Comments:

  • What a gorgeous cat. I have just got to get a cat to go with my weenie dog.

    By Blogger babbles, at 6:46 PM  

  • Cutsobabe pooch! I love weenie dogs. thanks for posting...benny

    By Blogger benny06, at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home