Benny's World

Friday, March 03, 2006

Respect the Troops

In a recent post, Marissa was talking about Lakoff's reframing of political issues. One she brought up was "support the troops" and how the right wing keeps telling the US folks that progressives who are against the war that we don't support them. She suggested the following instead that articulates the doves' view very well: Respect the Troops.
Marissa logs this:

After a conversation I had with my conservative friend about “supporting the troops” it became very clear to me that he didn’t support them at all. His viewpoint was that they signed the papers and if they didn’t think they’d ever get called to war, they were wrong. Tough luck, that’s what you get for signing your soul for college tuition. I couldn’t believe it. I told him that wasn’t very respectful of the troops and he shrugged his shoulders. So, I think that Liberals should claim the phrase “RESPECT THE TROOPS” and that means: be careful with their lives, protect them from unnecessary harm, supply them with the proper equipment, extend their benefits, and care for their families. Most of all, appreciate them for putting their lives in danger and volunteering to do a job so that others are not forced to. I show my support of the troops by respecting them.

I like that phrase. And I'll be back to visit her blog again soon to see what other ideas she may have to offer. Hat-tip to Coturnix.

2 Comments:

  • Can't disagree with that..
    if you saw the Zogby poll that found that 85% of American troops in Iraq believe they're there to retaliate for Saddam's involvement in 9/11....I'd say supporting the troops starts with telling the m the truth.

    By Blogger Chancelucky, at 1:49 PM  

  • Had not seen that poll..you are right, CL

    By Blogger benny06, at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home