Benny's World

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Tears in Heaven

For my mother who passed away on March 29, 2009...(h/t Bubbamonics at DK).

First a poem:

Now that I am gone,
remember me with smiles and laughter.
And if you need to cry,
cry with your brother or sister
who walks in grief beside you.
And when you need me,
put your arms around anyone
and give to them what you need to give to me.
There are so many who need so much.
I want to leave you something --
something much better than words or sounds.
Look for me in the people I've known
or helped in some special way.
Let me live in your heart
as well as in your mind.
You can love me most
by letting your love reach out to our loved ones,
by embracing them and living in their love.
Love does not die, people do.
So, when all that's left of me is love,
give me away as best you can.


And the song by Eric Clapton:



I like the video, even if it is about a parent lamenting about the loss of a child instead of the other way I feel. This song is also for John and Elizabeth Edwards as they lost their first son on this date in 1996. If anyone would like to remember my mother and Wade Edwards, please donate to the Wade Edwards Learning Lab. My mother was a teacher at heart, and she would want to see high schoolers advance their education by a more level playing field.

Diaries to come this weekend about my mother.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Benny I know God has welcomed your
    Mother to her new Heavenly Home.
    Allow me to share with you the song
    "Gone to Soon".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mcxmCGetI

    By Blogger Cherubim, at 4:42 PM  

  • The poem you share is beautiful. I hope it helps to bring you some comfort. It is so hard to lose someone who is so greatly loved. The knowledge that your mother's love is still here in the lives she has touched is beautiful.

    This thought also reminds me of the poem by E.E. Cummings, "I carry your heart with me."

    I carry your heart with me (I carry it in
    my heart). I am never without it (anywhere
    I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
    by only me is your doing, my darling).
    I fear no fate (for you are my fate,my sweet).
    I want no world (for beautiful you are my
    world, my true)
    and it's you are whatever a moon has
    always meant
    and whatever a sun will always sing is you.

    Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
    (here is the root of the root and the bud of the
    bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope
    or mind can hide)
    and this is the wonder that's keeping
    the stars apart.

    I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart).

    By Blogger bettync, at 9:09 AM  

  • Sorry to hear of your loss. I like listening to Sinead O'connors' Make me a channel of your peace in times like this.

    I have been on vacation so I haven't been reading your blog.

    I liked the poem.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home