Benny's World

Monday, October 26, 2009

Mongomery Angels

Last night, I watched Extreme Makeover. It's not a show I view often, but I was given a tip that the Montgomery Family of Central Illinois would be on this episode.

http://abc.go.com/watch/extreme-makeover-home-edition/92244/239285/montgomery-family

The Montgomeries are truly amazing people. They are a family which could have been well off today if Nathan, the father, had continued working as an engineer. Instead, he and the family believed they had a calling from God to help the poor. So they founded, Salt and Light, which feeds on average 265 families each Wednesday and has a store of recycled clothes for those who cannot afford clothes or food on the table.

The house they lived in outside of Philo (about 10 miles outside of the Champaign-Urbana area) was barely inhabitable. One looks of before and after pictures in the video, and it's mind boggling.

The family got to enjoy a real vacation, their first in years, at Disney World.

I had an employee who witnessed the rebuilding and had a family member volunteer his expertise. Watching the community do this work was inspiring. It reminded me of when JRE's campaign sent care packages to the troops, helped with weather proofing a home during the campaign. I miss the esprit d'corps.

I hope Elizabeth and John Edwards saw this episode. If not, they can watch it here.

http://abc.go.com/watch/extreme-makeover-home-edition/92244/239285/montgomery-family

I confess I was very teary-eyed at the end. Here's our local newspaper's article article that describes my and many folks' emotions in watching this special episode.

This week is National Volunteer week, and I'm very happy for this very deserving family. Looks I need to do my share later in the week.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Basically this a family that was rewarded for NOT working, for putting their family second, and it just amazes me that being rewarded for starting a charity is applauded. Family should be first, not last. Giving is great, yes, but two able bodied people who can work SHOULD work (or at least one of them should work and provide for their family) and run the charity on the side. Just my opinion.

    By Blogger Diane O'Leary, at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home